.

Thursday 14 May 2015

A Good Christian Boy


With this painting I wanted to examine posture and in turn portray how we often judge hastily on outward appearances. As with some of the other canvases within my new body of work, I am enjoying experimenting with ambiguity.  This young man is dressed in the uniform of his time. Perhaps we are privy to a moment of penance, remorse, an act of self-preservation or is this an image of a person in mourning? I was interested in using a religious element both within the title and composition, including a crucifix rolling through the youngster’s fingers. With this painting I wanted to explore several different aspects of a young modern man’s vulnerability together with the contradictory element of the swagger of youth, an uncomfortable ease that could be seen as lacklustre, but ultimately intimidating.

A Good Christian Boy Acrylic on Canvas 60cm x 60cm






No comments:

Post a Comment