.

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Saturday Night Soliloquy




Saturday Night Soliloquy Acrylic on Canvas 60cm x 60cm



























What happens when everyone tries to get a piece of you? A person depicted in a situation, a decision that has been made which could possibly have moved beyond the point of love and into a more complicated and uncomfortable arrangement of dependency and control. I wanted to allude to the main figure’s relationship through the dog which pulls aggressively but also desperately. I wanted to use the dog as a device to illustrate the control of the third party not present within the picture. This cypher animal also seems to shoulder the desperate affection of “Don’t leave me I can change”. A magpie surveying the composition a bird notorious for theft may in this instance actually be a conduit for hiding something for safekeeping.  I wanted to have the central figure in the painting holding a simplified version of herself as an offering of both confidence and vulnerability. She is not at her wits end, but she is questioning questionable choices. As I progressed with this painting I wanted to keep the use of text very succinct and matter of fact. As demonstrated in the title of the artwork I came to feel that the canvas became a stage.


Detail from Painting


Detail from Painting


Detail from Painting


No comments:

Post a Comment