.

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Killing It Didn’t Make The Love Go Away


Killing It Didn't Make The Love Go Away Acrylic on Canvas 90cm x 76cm

























            

As an artist I want to entice the viewer closer towards the surface of my artwork. The hand painted text incorporated within the painting displays the difficulties of the coming to terms with the break-up of a relationship and how the Bonsai as a complex and ultimately high maintenance form of controlled nature leaves with it a bitter reminder.

I chose to explore the notion that within the modern world our relationships towards objects are constantly changing. I am interested in how we imbue our possessions with emotions, social aspirations, anxieties and the general conundrums presented throughout day-to-day life. I chose the bonsai tree as a subject matter because I see it as a representational symbol of stoicism, poise and grace, yet it also displays the ideal image of a silent demand for patience and commitment.  In this painting the Bonsai represents a strong cypher serving as an unwanted relic, a leftover surrogate from the past.

Detail from painting

No comments:

Post a Comment